Tabley House


(Cheshire Historic Buildings)


WA16 0HB
Knutsford
Cheshire
England
01565 750151
tableyhouse@btconnect.com
www.tableyhouse.co.uk


Tabley House was designed by John Carr of York for Sir Peter Byrne Leicester, Bt., and completed in 1769.

His son, Sir John Fleming Leicester, Bt., later 1st Lord de Tabley, was the first great patron and collector of British paintings. He assembled a splendid collection at Tabley and in his London house during the first decade of the 19th Century, ultimately with the intention of establishing a National Gallery of British Art.

JMW Turner, Henry Thompson and James Ward were among the many painters who stayed at Tabley. Today, important works by them can be seen in the rooms for which they were created, together with fine paintings by Dobson, Lely, Reynolds, Cotes, Northcote, Callcott, Fuseli, Lawrence, Opie, Martin and others.

THE ART COLLECTION


Tabley House is home to a number of important paintings collected by the Leicester family, principally by the 1st Lord de Tabley, formerly Sir John Fleming Leicester, Bt (1762-1827).

THE FURNITURE COLLECTION

Tabley House is home to a fine collection of furniture dating from the 17th to the early 20th century. It includes pieces by Gillow and Bullock, and others attributed to Chippendale, as well as to local craftsmen.

WEDDINGS AND CONFERENCES

Tabley House is a Grade 1 mansion set in delightful parkland, ideal for weddings and civil partnership ceremonies. The elegant rooms, overlooking the lake, are reached via a splendid staircase and make a wonderful backdrop for photographs.

After the ceremony in the Great Gallery with its magnificent pictures, furniture and flamboyance, couples can entertain in the Portico, using their own suppliers, during the photocalls. 

Pictures © Yvonne Metcalf 2011

cheshire-tabley-exteriorcheshire-tabley-gallerycheshire-tabley-portico



 

Get directions
    Show options

From :  or 

To      :  or