Home Derbyshire

Search

Search by County

Latest Addition

Harvington Hall

Franchise Opportunity

Franchise your own county magazine now.

Click here for details.

Derbyshire Tourist Guide
Search:




 

Get directions
    Show options

From :  or 

To      :  or 

Strutt's North Mill

(Derbyshire Historic Buildings)

      
Belper Derbyshire England
Description : 

derby n mill 2017Belper stands at the heart of the Derwent Valley, which played a significant part in the Industrial Revolution.  The Derwent Valley Visitor Centre in Strutt's North Mill was set up to open a window on the history of the mills, cotton spinning and the town itself.

 
The Strutt family's association with Belper began with industrialist Jedediah. He had transformed the hosiery business with his invention of the Derby Rib, which allowed ribbed, that is stretchable, stocking fabric to be made on a hand-worked knitting frame. It was his realisation that high quality thread was needed for good hose which led him in 1776 to begin building cotton mills at Belper.
 
Jedediah and his sons went on to build more mills at Belper, although some have now been demolished. Built in 1804, the North Mill was built by Jedediah's son William, and was the forerunner of the modern skyscraper, and the most advanced industrial building of its time. The frame of the building is made entirely of cast iron. Now, trained guides are available to explain the construction of the building and the historic cotton spinning machinery it contains, or alternatively visitors are able to explore the Museum on their own.
 
To encourage families to move into Belper and work in their mills, the Strutts built high quality housing for their workers, and this is still to be seen today. The Strutts were benefactors to Belper for two centuries - one legacy to the town was the River Gardens, given by George Herbert Strutt in 1906, a water garden by the Derwent which still features band concerts on advertised summer Sundays.
 
The importance of the Belper mills and their historic industrial neighbours at Cromford, Darley Abbey and Derby was reflected by the World Heritage Site status given to the Derwent Valley Mills in 2001. Telephone the Derwent Valley Visitor Centre at Strutt's North Mill on 01773 880474 for details.
 
 
derby belpn1derby belpern2derby belpern3derby belpern4derby belpern5
 

Strutt's North Mill

(Derbyshire Museums and Arts)

      
Belper Derbyshire England
Description : 

derby n mill 2017Belper stands at the heart of the Derwent Valley, which played a significant part in the Industrial Revolution.  The Derwent Valley Visitor Centre in Strutt's North Mill was set up to open a window on the history of the mills, cotton spinning and the town itself.

 
The Strutt family's association with Belper began with industrialist Jedediah. He had transformed the hosiery business with his invention of the Derby Rib, which allowed ribbed, that is stretchable, stocking fabric to be made on a hand-worked knitting frame. It was his realisation that high quality thread was needed for good hose which led him in 1776 to begin building cotton mills at Belper.
 
Jedediah and his sons went on to build more mills at Belper, although some have now been demolished. Built in 1804, the North Mill was built by Jedediah's son William, and was the forerunner of the modern skyscraper, and the most advanced industrial building of its time. The frame of the building is made entirely of cast iron. Now, trained guides are available to explain the construction of the building and the historic cotton spinning machinery it contains, or alternatively visitors are able to explore the Museum on their own.
 
To encourage families to move into Belper and work in their mills, the Strutts built high quality housing for their workers, and this is still to be seen today. The Strutts were benefactors to Belper for two centuries - one legacy to the town was the River Gardens, given by George Herbert Strutt in 1906, a water garden by the Derwent which still features band concerts on advertised summer Sundays.
 
The importance of the Belper mills and their historic industrial neighbours at Cromford, Darley Abbey and Derby was reflected by the World Heritage Site status given to the Derwent Valley Mills in 2001. Telephone the Derwent Valley Visitor Centre at Strutt's North Mill on 01773 880474 for details.
 
 
derby belpn1derby belpern2derby belpern3derby belpern4derby belpern5
 

Barrow Hill Roundhouse Railway Centre

(Derbyshire Attractions)

         
Chesterfield Derbyshire England
Description : 

Leander at the Steam Gala 2006World famous steam locomotive Flying Scotsman to lead relaunch celebrations in September

Steeped in Midland Railway history, the former steam Roundhouse was built in 1870 to house the locomotives that served the nearby Staveley Works.

Locomotive development and technology moved forward rapidly after the Second World War and the last of hundreds of steam locomotives which had worked from Barrow Hill finally left in 1965. They were replaced by diesels which hauled huge numbers of coal trains from the nearby North Derbyshire coalfields.

By the late 1980s, however, coal's future as a major fuel source was in decline. The future looked bleak for the Barrow Hill depot and in 1991 British Rail decided to close it. On 9th February of that year the depot closed its doors and 121 years of continuous use finally came to an end.

And that would have been the end of the story, were it not for a group of dedicated railway preservationists led by Mervyn Allcock. They persuaded Chesterfield Borough Council to have the building listed to prevent its demolition. Chesterfield Council then purchased the site and organised the necessary major repairs before leasing it to the newly formed Barrow Hill Engine Shed Society.

Today, Barrow Hill attracts thousands of visitors to its special events, often featuring working steam and diesel locomotives. No visit would be complete without a ride on the train from the purpose-built station and platform, which is also used as the starting point or destination for excursion trains using the UK national rail network.

In 2016 the Roundhouse was awarded £1.2 million by the Heritage Lottery Fund for its exciting "Moving Forward" project...

All work to the Roundhouse building has been completed, including work to repair the wall cap and install flashing, clean and paint all the roof steelwork and the internal walls and renew the external lime mortar pointing where needed.

The new entrance building is complete, new signage has been installed at the car park entrance and provision for disabled parking has been made in the new car park. The learning and meeting area of the Roundhouse is also finished. The existing blue brick floor has been lifted, underfloor heating installed and the floor replaced. The low ceiling has been removed and replaced with a new higher level ceiling and a projector and screen installed for use by school groups and other meetings. Storage, coat hooks and 'bag bins' for schools have been provided. A timeline display depicting the life of the immediate area and the Roundhouse, in relation to historic events, is now in place along with some large black and white images taken from the Roundhouse collection.

 


derby barrow 2015 2derby barrow2015 1

Telephone 01246 472450
www.barrowhill.org

 

 

 


Heanor Antiques & Collectors Centre

(Derbyshire Shopping)

      
Heanor Derbyshire England
Description : 
Heanor Antiques & Collector Centre

The Heanor Antiques Centre is the largest antiques centre in the county.

derby-heanor22The centre has been a family run business since the building was acquired and renovated in 1998.  It started with just 35 dealers present, displaying their collections over approximately 8000 square feet, and has now grown to cover about 200 dealers and 15 000 square feet of display space.

 
You will find an Aladdin's Cave spread over four floors, with a great range of goods on offer in the display cases, (from books at 50p, toys, postcards, stamps, fine China, silverware, glass and memorabilia, to Grandfather Clocks at £4,000).  The range of antiques and collectibles on display reflects the origins of the dealers - they come from all over the UK, Ireland and even as far afield as Japan.
 
A major new feature on site is the Heanor Craft Centre, which caters for almost everyone. All local handmade crafts are made by 100+ craft dealers. The Craft Centre is on two floors and crafts are divided in to 80 small units, with an Art Gallery displaying traditional and modern art.
 
The Craft Centre and Art Gallery benefit from a newly extended Stylish Cafe. The Cafe at Heanor Antiques and Craft centre started as a small garage conversion next to the car park: It is now a 80 seat Modernistic designed cafe on the third floor with outside seating and views across D. H. Lawrence's birth place.  Openly daily, with a large selection of food
 
OPENING TIMES: 10:30am to 4:30pm every day of the week and year (except Christmas day and Boxing day)
 
Telephone. 01773 531181
 
derby-heanor33

Highfields Happy Hens

(Derbyshire Attractions)

         
Etwall Derbyshire England
Description : 

All the fun of the farm at your finger tips!  


Read more ...
<< Start < Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next > End >>

Page 3 of 44

Download the FREE County Signpost App

The County Signpost iPhone and Android Apps are now available as FREE downloads, so you can take County Signpost out and about on your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad - or on your Android Mobile device or tablet..

Download now from the Apple App Store and the Android Market.

Coming soon to the Apple App Store Comin soon to the Android Market

Featured Attraction



erewash museum

Erewash Museum is our very own local and social history museum located on High Street, Ilkeston; with exhibitions and displays reflecting the history of the Erewash Borough.

Home for the Museum is a late Georgian house with Victorian extensions. It was both a family home and school accommodation before becoming a museum in the 1980's.

Many original features remain and visitors can enjoy the garden with unrivalled views across the Erewash Valley.

We are open Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday 10am 4pm (last entry at 3.30pm). During school holidays, with the exception of Christmas and bank holiday Mondays, we are open Monday Saturday 10am 4pm.

New tea room open 11am to 3pm

Admission to the museum is free.